Yesterday I migrated a clustered Domino environment to V10.0.1 and activated the new feature of “AutoRepair” and “RepairCleanup” like it´s documented in the official documentation by adding the following NOTES.INI settings:
I was a little bit nervous about the following error messages in the console:
[029161:000002-00007FE0543EA740] REPARATUR: Reparaturaufruf mit folgendem Fehler fehlgeschlagen: Entry not found in index
After some investigation and opening a case I replaced the design of the NAMES.NSF with a “Default” PUBNAMES.NTF instead the one from the german Language Pack and now this feature is running fine !!
[018186:000009-00007F2986F5B700] Task Description
[018186:000009-00007F2986F5B700] Automatic Repair Repairing files as needed
So maybe not only the German client has to be reviewed 😉
Also check the update and how to easily solve this problem:
I’m just trying to be sure because in the “views view” only one alias is displayed
thanks for this hint. So the alias looking this way would be correct:
Could you please confirm ? Thanks a lot
Try adding the alias „Server\Cluster Configurations“ to the view whose alias is „ClusterConfigurations“ (so it will have two aliases). I think that will fix the problem. A fix is in the works here.
You should check again, if the „entry not found in index“ is really LP related. I had opened a case with HCL, where I got the same message. The reason was, that I temporarily removed one server from the cluster.
Answer from HCL support : “ This message comes as Auto Repair feature works only in clustered environment , however you have removed one server from cluster which means servers are now standalone. This is working as designed.“
I doubt that this is related to a translated string.
I rechecked ( no server was removed from the cluster configuration ) – but the problem was gone by simply replacing the design of the Domino Directory with the pubnames.ntf from the English installation. No further server restart, …
So for my opinion there´s a strange relation to the German LP.