A great 2 factor authentication tool for Domino

After having received a request for a 2FA solution for Domino I searched the web and found this great solution from cyone – the Two-Factor authentication.

Some mails later with Sergey Golubev he sent me some information about this solution and also the pricing which is extremely straightforward.

Now to the implementation: it took about 30 minutes for implementing this tool for an environment with one server and one test user ( me ). You can choose 3 types of notification – I took the one with the Google Authenticator and it´s running very fine !

The login process is looking this way without great customizations:

login_1

login_2

login_3

You also can exclude some content for the 2FA like Traveler and can choose each single user from your directory for which you can enable the requirement.

Compared with other solutions this is the most simple and effective way for a more secure environment.

 

Update on Monday, August 19th:

Today I checked the feature of the “Self registration” and created the requested database on our server. Just some modifications in the ACL of the main application and the self registration for users works like a charm.

IBM Notes V10.x: Search for attachment names not working anymore

Yesterday I received an email from a customer complaining that a search on a full text indexed mail database does not find attachment names.

I tried this on my mail database on a local replica and also on our server and could see the same result: attachment names are not found.

After opening a case @HCL yesterday, today I received the information, that this regression in well known under the SPR # JCUS975RGX:

SPR # JCUS975RGX => Allow attachments to be found by searching for their file names
This is regression started on V10.0.0 and was working on previous versions.

If you also are facing this problem with Notes/Domino V10.x just open a case and refer to this SPR to increase the weightage for getting a solution.

Feature list of Verse On-Premises 1.0.8

Today the feature list of VoP 1.0.8 was officially released and there are tremendous enhancements:

  • Enhancements to the calendar event design preview in 1.0.8
    IBM Verse 1.0.8 provides the following enhancements to the calendar event design preview feature.
  • See names in your native language
    In Verse 1.0.8, in work environments that use internationally-recognized names, your administrator may allow you to see names in their native languages and character sets. These are known as alternate names.
  • See your archived mail
    In Verse 1.0.8, if you archive your mail to an archive database on a server using another client such as iNotes, or if your administrator archives your mail on a server for you, you can now open the archive mail file from the folder panel to see the archived messages.
  • More support for encrypted meeting notifications
    There is additional support for encrypting meeting invitations and responses.
  • Font sizes are consistent with Notes and iNotes
    In Verse 1.0.8, the font size is the same as the font size in Notes and iNotes. For example, Arial 14 is rendered the same size in Verse, Notes, and iNotes. Previously, the Verse font size was smaller.
  • Improved web browser experience enabled by default
    An improved experience for users who access Verse from browsers on mobile devices is now enabled automatically.
  • New password and Notes ID features
    In Verse 1.0.8, you can change the password that you use to log in to Verse, change your Notes ID password, and manage your Notes ID.
  • Server support for IBM i
    Verse is now supported on a Domino 10.0.1 server running on IBM i version V7R2 or V7R3.

VoP 1.0.8 will be available in Q3/2019. You can get the complete informations about the new features on the official site here: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SS4RQV_1.0.8/whats_new/whats_new_in_version_1.0.8.html

Domino V10+ error message: ‘DB in use by another process’

On multiple customer environments running Domino on Windows Server 2016 you always receive the mentioned error when trying to delete a database.

One customer also had issues by accessing the FT index of databases after the Domino V10 migration.

First I thought that running the Domino servers in a clustered environment caused this issue but it´s much more easier:

Just exclude the Domino Data directory from being scanned by the Windows Defender. Afterwards everything´s running fine and you also are able to delete databases.

Right now I received the information from Uli that there´s a known bug in 10.0.1+ where DAOSMgr is not releasing database handles after running a “resync” or a “resync force”. But there´s a HotFix for 10.0.1 FP1 with SPR # GFALBCFAK3. So it seems that this fix is not included in 10.0.1 FP2 ( fix list ) because the fix was released just the day before FP2.